Here we go.

01 April 2012

peep

I can hardly believe that I've been back for a week!  It went by so quickly!  I've spent most of the time in bed, exhausted from jet lag and miserable from several symptoms.   I finally went to the doctor on Friday for treatment and am feeling so much better, but can't say that I'm 100% just yet.  ATM has been lovely with helping me readjust.  He took me to Hot Springs this weekend for an excellent meal, a little fun, and a lot of rest.  It really did the trick.


In short, my trip to Vietnam was a real eye-opener.  I didn't know what to expect.  It's very beautiful, dirty, strange, and a little heartbreaking.  Vietnamese people are resourceful & weird, but generally friendly.  They were always taken aback by our knowing a little of the Viet language.  I think it worked in our favor many many times.  The food? Excellent.  It will be hard to get over some of those dishes as it might be awhile before I'll have them again, although I have been hitting Go Ogle hard to see if I can recreate some of them for future TOFU HAPPENINGs.  Traveling with my mum and sister was good exercise of the heart & mind.  We survived with hardly any scrapes or bruises.  In our last days in Saigon while I was unwell, KMHD made really good company.  I would love to make this trip again and I'd recommend it to anybody.    


I'm just going to start here, yeah?


Getting there takes a long time & is uncomfortable.  You start in Little Rock --> Atlanta --> Los Angeles --> Taipei --> Hanoi.  We left midday on March 10 and arrived in Hanoi in the early afternoon on March 12.  You do the math.


LAX Int'l via ATL:
LAX, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


I'm so glad Vietnam is a proper coffee drinking nation because airline coffee, no matter how good it looks on camera, is disgusting.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


VOML or Vegetarian Oriental Meal.  Of course, it's terrible.  I didn't get far with this meal...
:o----, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


...or this one.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


But, hunger really did make things taste better on the third go-around:
If you're hungry enough, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Still in good spirits:
Still in good spirits., Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


KMHD recharging & keeping up at the Taipei Int'l Airport:
Recharging in Taipei, Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Waiting waiting waiting:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


The last leg of the journey from Taipei to Hanoi was a three hour flight.  We dubbed this little one "Ear Plugs".  Oh, she was naughty, but we didn't care because we were so close!  Funnily, she fell asleep at landing:
I dubbed this little one "Ear Plugs", Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


I'll unpack a little at a time.

2 comments:

nicole said...

Just a great start... can't wait to see and hear more. Loved following you & KMHD on Instagram! Glad you made it home safely and soundly. xo.

AMD & KMHD said...

Thanks, Nicole! I am so very happy to be home!

Blog Archive